Tips for Managing Braces Pain
Wearing braces can help you get the smile you've always wanted, but there may be a few tough days along the way. While every day with braces won't be painful, there are going to be some times when your orthodontia causes you some pain and discomfort. This is especially true on the days you have your braces tightened. Fortunately, there are a few hacks that can help!
If you are new to the braces game, take a look at these tips for managing those painful days.
Try These Helpful Hints to Ease Any Pain Caused by Your Braces
- Orthodontic Wax - after your braces are tightened you may experience scraping in your mouth from wires or brackets. Place the wax over the irritation spots for almost immediate relief.
- Saltwater Rinses - warm saltwater rinses help to heal any cuts or scrapes that you may have in your mouth while also calming any irritation that you are feeling.
- OTC Pain Medication - if the pain from your braces is interfering with your day, it's okay to take a pain reliever such as Advil or Tylenol. If the pain is severe or persists after several days, please give our office a call.
- Anesthetics - medications such as Orajel can help to temporarily relieve mouth pain. Simply apply it directly to the trouble spots after carefully washing your hands.
- Ice Packs - if your mouth and jaw feel sensitive to touch, or you are experiencing a throbbing pain, an ice pack is an effective way to relieve your discomfort. Frozen vegetable packs also work great because you can mold their shape to fit your jaw.
The team at Dr. Frugé's office is here to help! Feel free to call us if you have any questions or concerns in between your regular appointments.